Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning), Math
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Phrases for Algebraic Operations
Brief Description: Students will identify key phrases in word problems to determine which operation should be used.
Know Before You Start: This lesson teaches signal words for addition and subtraction. You can adapt this lesson to address other algebraic operations as needed.
- Read and discuss the first panel of the sample comic.
Continue reading panels two and three. As each panel is displayed, have students search for signal words that help them decide whether to add or subtract.
As students answer, add these words to a signal word T-Chart.
Complete the same exercise for panels four, five, and six.
Display the chart as a reference.
Have students create a word problem comic.
Have students work in pairs to identify the signal word and solve the problem in the other's comic.
- Remind students that it is important to look for signal words or phrases in word problems to determine whether they need to add or subtract.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Adapt this lesson to the operation you want to target, e.g., multiplication, division, etc.