Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 15 - 20 mins
Topic: Mindful Reflection
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will mindfully reflect on their week’s highlights, challenges and hopes using a mountain metaphor.
Know Before You Start: It helps to remind students of the importance of mindful practices, reflection and finding positive perspectives.
- Explain that it’s important to reflect on where you are today and where you once were to celebrate success, honor challenges and explore your hopes for the future.
- Read through the sample comic with students, and have them create a three-to-nine-panel comic.
- Peak: Three positives for the week.
- Pit: Three challenges from the week.
- Horizon: Three ideas/events you are looking forward to right now.
- Display a digital or print version of the comic reflection questions.
- Have students respond by creating comic responses to each prompt.
- Be sure to suggest they explain WHY to further develop their shares.
- Have students share their answers in whole-group or with a partner.
- Possible Reflection questions to discuss after activity:
- Why is it important to reflect on what happens over time?
- Can you set goals from your pit, peaks and horizons? How?
- Allow students to use thee speech-to-text feature.
- Provide examples of possible Peaks, Pits and Horizons if needed.