Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 15 - 20 mins
Topic: Mindful Reflection
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will mindfully reflect on their week’s highlights, challenges and hopes using a mountain metaphor.
Know Before You Start: Students should be aware of the importance of mindful practices, reflection and finding positive perspectives.
- Explain that it’s important to reflect on where you are today and where you once were so that you can celebrate success, honor challenges and explore your hopes for the future.
- Read through the sample comic with students, and have them create a nine-panel comic.
- Peak: Three positives for the week.
- Pit: Three challenges from the week.
- Horizon: Three ideas/events you are looking forward to right now.
- Display the sample comic.
- Have students respond by creating a comic with responses to each prompt.
- Have students share their answers with a partner.
- Provide these possible reflection questions to discuss:
- Why is it important to reflect on what happens over time?
- Can you set goals from your pit, peaks and horizons? How?
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Provide examples of possible Peaks, Pits and Horizons if needed.