Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning), Math
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Language Of Mathematics
Brief Description: This lesson reinforces the language associated with finding the percent of numbers when solving word problems.
Know Before You Start:
- Students should be familiar with how to find a percent of a number.
- Vocabulary e.g., markup, markdown, and discount.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Would you buy a cookie for that price?
- Do you think that the amusement park tickets are a good price?
- Could there be other reasons, besides price, that would cause people not to come to the amusement park?
Tell students to imagine they are business owners. Use the Think-Pair-Strategy to get students to think of an item or service they would like to sell e.g., selling a car or item, babysitting, cooking, developing a new video game or technology etc. Have students share aloud.
- Assign students the vocabulary words: Markup, markdown, or discount along with a percentage.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a comic to illustrate what they are selling and how much it will cost.
- Panel 1: Students should share their product, the original price of that product, and the percentage they are going to markup or down.
- Panel 2: Students should solve and find the amount of the markup/down and the new total price.
Closure: Have students share their comics in small or whole group for an additional oral language opportunity.
- Provide sentence frames as needed.
- Display visuals and translation for vocabulary.
- Adapt this lesson to fit vocabulary to match your current needs e.g., tax, sales tax, sales price, original price, selling price.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.