Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Numbers and Operations in Base Ten
Grade Level: 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will round decimals to a given place value.
Know Before You Start: Students should have some experience with rounding. This serves as a great informal assessment to gauge student understanding.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Have you ever gone on a road trip?
- How many miles do you think you traveled?
- Review rounding. Have students solve Emily’s rounding problems as a class.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create their own "Rounding" comics.
- Have students choose a number with decimals to the ten thousandths place.
- The four-panel comic should include:
- Panel 1: Should describe a real life scenario where rounding can take place, e.g., crowd size at a football game, miles flown in a year, number of candy bars sold in a candy store, etc.
- Panel 2: Students will share their number and explain how to round it up or down.
- Panel 3: Students will round to the nearest tenth.
- Panel 4: Students will round to the nearest hundredth.
- Panel 5: Students will round to the nearest thousandth.
- Have students share their finished comics with a partner. Is their partner comic accurate?
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Adapt the lesson to use Metric measurements.