Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Numbers & Operations in Base Ten
Grade Level: 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will round decimals to a given place value.
Know Before You Start:
- Students should have some experience with rounding.
- This would serve as a great informal assessment to gauge student understanding.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Have you ever gone on a road trip?
- How many miles do you think you drove?
- Review rounding. Have students solve Emily’s rounding problems as a class.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create their own Rounding comics.
- Have students choose a number with decimals to the ten thousandths place
- The four-panel comic should include:
- Panel 1: Should describe a real life scenario where rounding can take place. E.g., Crowd size at a football game, miles flown in a year, number of candy bars sold in a candy store etc.
- Panel 2: Students will share their number and explain how to round it up or down.
- Panel 3: Students will round to the nearest tenth.
- Panel 4: Students will round to the nearest hundredth.
- Panel 5: Students will round to the nearest thousandth.
- Remind students to be creative and have fun!
Closure: Have students share their finished comics with a partner. Is their partner comic accurate? Time for some fact checking!
- Allow students to work in pairs.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Adapt the lesson to use Metric measurements.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.