Lesson Length: 20 - 35 mins
Topic: Operations and Algebraic Thinking; Interpret Numerical Expressions
Grade Level: 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will write equations using parentheses, brackets, and/or braces and explain the order of how to solve.
Know Before You Start: Students should have prior practice with solving equations or expressions involving parentheses, brackets, and/or braces.
- Have students work in pairs to solve the problem in the sample comic.
- Have students create a comic that includes their own equation
- Panel 1 should include their equation.
- Additional panels should explain the order in which the equation is solved.
- Have students review and recite the order of operations.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
Scaffold instruction by providing a visual with step-by-step directions with the order of operations.
Allow students to work with a peer model.
Allow students to write in their home language.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.
Suggested Content Packs:
Suggested Story Starters: