Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 min
Topic: Literary Devices - Idioms
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Distinguish between literal and figurative language
Brief Description: Students will recognize and explain the meaning of common idioms.
Know Before You Start:
- Students should have exposure to idioms before starting this lesson.
- Creating a list of common idioms to display will help students complete this activity.
- Display examples of idioms such as the one in the comic above.
- Explain that the term “idiom” relates to a word or phrase that means something different from its literal meaning.
Activity: Have the students select an idiom of their choice and create a comic that demonstrates knowledge of its meaning.
Closure: Have students share their comic with a partner or whole group.
- Allow students to work in pairs
- Provide sentence stems for students to use in their writing
- Provide the opportunity to role play the comics
- Provide definitions with idioms