Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Literary Devices - Idioms
Brief Description: Students will explain the meaning of common idioms.
Know Before You Start: Students should have exposure to idioms before starting this lesson. Adapt this lesson for any literary device that your class is currently working on.
Display examples of idioms such as the one in the sample comic.
Explain that the term idiom relates to a word or phrase that means something different from its literal meaning.
- Have students select an idiom and create a comic demonstrating knowledge of its meaning.
- Have students share their comic with a partner or the group.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
Allow students to work in pairs.
Provide sentence stems for students to use in their writing.
Provide the opportunity to role play the comics.
Provide definitions with idioms.
- Create a list of common idioms to display.