Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 15 - 20 mins
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Through prompted questions in comics, students will reflect and learn to be grateful.
Know Before You Start: This is the perfect lesson to explain the concept of gratitude and the benefits of its practice.
- Discuss gratitude.
- What does the word mean?
- Can you feel gratitude?
- What kinds of things can you do to show gratitude?
- Explain that sometimes it’s easy for us to be grateful for things we have in life e.g., our families, our friends, gifts given to us and more. But do you ever think about other places you can find gratitude— like in your classroom! We are fortunate to have so many useful things in the classroom, spaces that make us feel safe and people that support us.
- Let’s search for them in a gratitude scavenger hunt!
- Display a digital or print version of the sample comic reflection questions.
- Have students respond by creating their own Gratitude comic.
- Remind students to answer each prompt in the sample comic and explain why they are grateful in their answers.
- Possible Reflection questions to discuss after the activity:
- Why should we practice gratitude in school?
- How does it feel to be grateful for our classroom?
- Where are other spaces where you could do this activity?