Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Brief Description: This lesson is intended to reinforce the language and vocabulary needed to discuss the genre of a text. Use this lesson as an informal assessment to determine the knowledge and features of genres.
Know Before You Start: Students should have some knowledge of different genres before starting this lesson.
Read and discuss the sample comic.
How is each genre different?
Provide students with examples of books in a variety of genres. Have partners look through the books and try to sort them based on similar features.
- Have students make a comic that shows their understanding of three different genres.
- Have each group present their comic to the class.
- Display these comics in the library to reinforce the idea of genres.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
Provide sentence frames and visuals as needed.
Provide a visual for students to remember the features of a genre.