Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning), Math
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Grade Level: 3, 4, 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: This lesson is intended to reinforce vocabulary and language used to describe fractions. It can be used as an ESL lesson or as a math lesson to reinforce the concept of fractions.
Know Before You Start: Students should have a basic understanding of fractions. Encourage ESL students to use their home language to expand upon background knowledge.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Remind students that a fraction is a part of something, or one whole.
- Draw a picture of a circle on the board.
- Explain that when you cut a pizza into four equal pieces then each piece is one-fourth of the whole pizza.
- Shade three out of the four pieces. Write the fraction 3/4 on the board.
- Point out that the denominator is the number of total pieces, while the numerator is the number of pieces taken from the whole.
- Assign a fraction to students.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a comic that demonstrates their understanding of that fraction.
- Encourage students to use key vocabulary words, e.g., numerator, denominator, whole.
- Have students share their comics to the whole group to provide an additional oral language practice opportunity.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Assign more than one fraction for students to use in their comics.
- Adapt this lesson as needed to meet your students' language levels.
- Comic to print or display
Suggested Content Packs: