Subject: Special Education
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Time Management and Planning
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: This lesson is intended to reinforce what to do during daily routines to help students be successful and minimize disruptions in the classroom.
Know Before You Start: Choose a common routine, or a routine that needs to be reinforced. Try to keep the routine as concise, and in as few steps as possible.
- Ask students to name some routines that we follow throughout the day, e.g., arrival, literacy centers, transitioning to lunch, dismissal.
- Make a list with the students and circle your targeted routine.
- Have students act out the routine and write down the steps to follow it.
- Have students create a comic that shows the step by step routine.
- You can have all students create a comic on the same routine, or you can individualize the routine based on student needs.
- Encourage students to use positive language and facial expressions in their comics.
- Have students share their comics in small groups or with the whole class.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Have students create their comics with an adult.
- Adapt the routine to match your students’ needs.