Subject: Math, Social Studies
Lesson Length: 45 mins
Grade Level: 6, 7
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Practice math skills and learn about Egyptian history at the same time with this activity.
Know Before You Start: Students should have an understanding of how to convert measurements.
Read and discuss the sample comic.
Have students measure the classroom and convert that measurement into Egyptian cubits. (The measure from your elbow to the tip of your longest finger.)
- Have students compare their classroom size to that of three famous Egyptian monuments and make a comic about it.
Panel 1: Should include the size of their classroom in Egyptian cubits and either feet or meters.
Panels 2-4: Should include a famous monument and its size in either feet or meters, and its size in Egyptian cubits.
- Compare answers as a class.
- Allow students to use speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Provide a printed copy of the sample comic.