Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Operations & Algebraic Thinking; Multiplication/Division Word Problems
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will use key words to solve word problems involving multiplication and/or division and create a problem solving comic of their own.
Know Before You Start: Students should have prior knowledge of how to use keywords to solve multiplication and division word problems.
- Review keywords and/or phrases to look for when solving multiplication and division word problems.
- Discuss Coach Kai’s word problem in Comic 1. Which key words or phrases will help them decide which operation to use? Solve the problem as a class. (Show panels three and four for the solution).
Activity: Students will create a two-panel comic describing how they solved Coach Mel’s cone problem in Comic 2. In the comic, students should explain:
- Which keywords and/or phrases indicate the needed operation.
- Which operation they’ll need to use (multiplication or division.)
- A caption showing the equation they’ll use with a symbol for the unknown value.
- An explanation of how they solved the problem.
- The answer to the problem.
*Students can have the option to write and solve their own multiplication and/or division word problem using the same process as above. Students who write their own should create comics that include a minimum of four panels. (See Comic 1 above).
Closure: Students will share their comic with a partner. The partner will determine if they agree with the method and solution of the problem.
Scaffold independent work by choosing one sample problem for students working below grade level to complete in pairs or groups.
Provide visuals/examples of multiplication vs. division word problems.
Allow students to work in pairs for peer model.
Provide sentence frames for students.
Allow students to write their comic in their home language.