Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 15 - 20 mins
Topic: Goal Setting
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will review the meaning of the acronym of “S.M.A.R.T.” goal in preparation to write a goal of their own.
Know Before You Start: Students should be reminded what goals are and why specific goals are better than non-specific goals.
- Ask students to raise their hand if they’ve ever wanted to accomplish something, but didn’t know where to start. Discuss.
- Explain that the way to start is to get S.M.A.R.T. and go over the acronym:
- Display a digital version of the comic or offer handouts to students. Read and discuss the sample S.M.A.R.T. comic.
- Ask students to brainstorm specific goals they’d like to achieve.
- Using the S.M.A.R.T. comic as a guide, coach students to write their own S.M.A.R.T. goal.
- Have students create a six-panel comic illustrating their S.M.A.R.T. goal.
- Panel 1: Should tell the reader what the student would like to achieve.
- Panel 2: Should explain the goal more specifically.
- Panel 3: Should highlight how the student will know they've achieved their goal. How will they measure their success?
- Panel 4: Should ponder whether they have enough time and the right resources to achieve their goal.
- Panel 5: Should tell the reader what it means to them, or why it's important for them to achieve their goal.
- Panel 6: Should assign a deadline to complete the goal.
- Allow students to print out their comics to refer back to throughout the time they're working towards their goals.
- Allow students to share their comic with a partner, small groups or with the whole class.
- Have students reflect:
- Who can help keep me accountable to achieve this goal?
- Why is this goal important to me?
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Provide a list of goals for students to choose from if needed.
- Comic to print or display
- S.M.A.R.T Goal Planner printable.
Suggested Content Packs: