Subject: Civics, Social Studies
Lesson Length: 40 - 45 mins
Topic: Understanding Rights and Responsibilities of Citizens
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will be able to distinguish between protected rights and responsibilities as members of their community, state, and country.
Know Before You Start: Students should have an understanding of the terms right and responsibility.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Have students decide if the action in each panel is a right of a citizen or a responsibility of a citizen.
- Have students create a two-panel comic depicting a right and responsibility for citizens living in their community, state, or country.
Panel 1: Illustrate a protected right of a citizen.
Panel 2: Illustrate a responsibility of a citizen.
- Share and discuss the completed comics.
- Were there any commonalities?
- What would life be like if citizens didn’t follow through on their responsibilities?
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
Provide examples and have students sort into rights and responsibilities.
Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
Provide sentence starters as needed.
Allow students to create a comic in their home language.