Subject: World Languages
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Vocabulary “around the house”
Grade Level: 7, 8, 9
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will practice vocabulary “at home” through the creation of an “Around the House” comic.
Know Before You Start: This lesson works as a review or introductory lesson in the language being taught.
- Read the sample comic. Discuss the comic in the language being taught. Some students may not have the ability to respond in that language yet. If so, have them answer in English while you respond in the other language.
- Continue the discussion by asking students what their favorite room is, in their house or in a house they’ve visited.
- What type of room is it?
- What furniture or items are in the room?
- Why is it their favorite?
- As they answer, respond by focusing on vocabulary “around the house.”
Introduce “at home” vocabulary e.g., words for rooms, furniture, items found in these rooms e.g., plates in the kitchen.
Using the comic as a guide, have students create a “Home Tour” comic describing their favorite room in the language being taught.
Students can use the “Focus” setting to show different details in the room.
Students may choose to describe several rooms in a multiple panel comic.
Closure: Have students share their finished comics out loud.
Students can work independently, in groups, or with a partner.
Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature as needed.
Provide printout of the sample comic for student reference.