Subject: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Digital Citizenship
Grade Level: 6, 7
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will explain how they can respect others online.
Know Before You Start: This lesson provides a great springboard to discuss the signs of cyberbullying.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- What did the character do wrong?
- Why was posting that picture disrespectful?
- What should they have done to respect their friend?
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-to-four-panel comic in which they explain how to respect the rights and privacy of others.
- Panels 1-2: Introduce an online situation or conflict.
- Panels 3-4: Illustrate your character making the right and respectful choice.
- Allow students to share and discuss their comics with the class or with a partner.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Create an anchor chart of other examples of cyberbullying.
- Provide sentence frames for the student comic.