Subject: ELA (English Language Arts), ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Multiple-Meaning Words
Brief Description: Students will explore multiple-meaning words.
Know Before You Start: This lesson can serve as an introduction or review of multiple-meaning words.
- Read and discuss the first two panels of the sample comic. Explain that the word wave can mean more than one thing.
- What does the word wave mean in each sentence?
- Can they think of any other words that have multiple meanings?
Read the sample comic to determine the meanings of multiple-meaning words.
Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create their own multiple-meaning word comics.
Discuss the importance of understanding words with more than one meaning.
Encourage students to look for multiple-meaning words while they are reading independently.
Throughout the week, introduce one-to-two words a day that have multiple meanings to reinforce what they’ve learned.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Adapt this lesson by using more or less complex sentences as needed.