Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Main Idea and Supporting Details
Brief Description: Students will determine the main idea and at least two supporting details of a passage.
Know Before You Start: Students should be familiar with determining main ideas and details. Sample passages will be needed for students to determine the main idea of.
Read and discuss the sample comic.
Review that the main idea is what the author wants you to remember the most.
Display a short passage and work together to determine the main idea and supporting details.
Have students read a text in order to find the main idea and supporting details.
Using the sample comic as a guide, have them explain the main idea and supporting details in a comic.
Display sentence frames for students to refer to while working or print them for individual students based on their language levels.
- Have students share their comics with the class or in a small group.
- Have students think of a story they know well and consider what the main idea is.
Provide a variety of passages on student independent reading level.
Adapt sentence frames to match language levels.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
Suggested Content Packs: