Subject: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Digital Citizenship
Grade Level: 6, 7
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will describe actions that they can take to keep a clean digital footprint online.
Know Before You Start: This lesson provides a good springboard to discuss safe online choices and behaviors.
- Define and discuss the term Digital Footprint which is the information about a particular person that exists on the internet as a result of their online activity.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Have you ever received an email like this?
- Why do people send emails like this?
- What should the character in the comic have done to ensure a clean digital footprint?
- Brainstorm other ways to keep a clean digital footprint online.
Activity: Have students create a three-to-four-panel comic describing three ways to keep a clean digital footprint online.
Closure: Have students share one way to keep a clean digital footprint from their comic.
- Utilize Think-Pair-Share strategy during whole group instruction.
- Display examples of how to keep a clean digital footprints and allow students to choose from three to use in their comic.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.