Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Operations and Algebraic Thinking; Generate and Analyze Patterns
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will create and explain their own number patterns and rules.
Know Before You Start: Students should have experience identifying and following rules for patterns.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Do you notice a pattern?
- Can you determine the rule for the pattern?
- Discuss how you determined the rule.
- What would the next two numbers in the pattern be?
Have students choose a rule to follow when creating a number pattern.
Have students start with a number of their choice and follow their rule to generate the next five numbers in the pattern on a piece of scrap paper.
Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create their own five-panel comic introducing a pattern and a rule. The characters in the comic should explain how the rule works.
- Have students share their comics with a partner.
- Partners will check each other’s work to make sure their rules were followed correctly.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
Provide a pattern rule for students as needed.
Provide sentence frames as needed.
Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.