Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 45 mins
Topic: Descriptive Writing
Brief Description: Introduce a special family - from "a day in the life," to cherished memories. Have your students add characters that look like relatives for a uniquely personalized experience.
Know Before You Start: Be aware that family life might be difficult or traumatic for some students. Approach this activity with sensitivity.
- Begin by projecting a personal childhood family photo and identifying the members of your own family. Share some of your favorite family memories.
- Ask students to think about their own families and identify a favorite memory, (e.g., a special vacation, a new pet, a holiday celebration, a favorite meal, a family tradition, etc.)
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-to-five-panel comic describing this favorite memory using sensory language.
- Have students share their comics in pairs or small groups.
- Showcase finished comics in a Gallery Walk.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Provide a list of ideas for a favorite memory, e.g., the day I learned to ride a bike, the day our new pet came to live with us, etc.